Headache – who does not know this phenomenon? People, unfortunately, are not sufficiently informed about the causes of headaches and do not distinguish tension headaches and migraines from secondary headaches. Therefore, people suffering from headaches often use inappropriate treatments that do not give the desired effect. To find out what the main sources of headache are and where to look for help, we turned to specialists at the headache medical center.
There are two main types of headaches – primary and secondary.
The origin of the primary headache is not associated with other health disorders or diseases. Primary headaches are often very painful, are repetitive and regular, but are not a symptom of a life-threatening illness.
One of the most severe forms of primary headache is migraine, which is characterized by pain in one half of the head. Migraine is often accompanied by drowsiness, physical weakness, nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to noise, smell and light. Migraine attack use to last at least 4 to 72 hours.
Causes of migraine:
- Genetic factors: in 70 cases, migraine is hereditary;
- Climate and microclimate: abrupt climate change, cold, hot bath, strong smell, noise, bright light;
- Food, hormonal factors: chocolate, cheese, alcohol, caffeine, menstruation, oral contraceptives;
- Emotional factors: anxiety, nervous agitation, depression, shock, anxiety, stress;
- Physical factors: trip, exercise, toothache, smoking, hunger, sleep disorders, sex.
The most common form of primary headache is tension headache (tension headache). Those suffering from this form experience a squeezing, dull pain of light or moderate intensity, usually on both sides of the head, characterizing this sensation as a “tight hoop on the head”. The pain can last from 30 minutes to 7 days.
The most particular causes of tension headaches are:
- Emotional factors: severe nervous tension, stress, overwork;
- Physical factors: load on the eyes, poor posture, prolonged sitting at the computer, tension of the muscles of the head.
- Symptomatic (secondary) headaches are the result of a serious illness or injury that is life threatening. Therefore, these headaches require the timely identification of their causes.
According to experts of the medical center, the treatment of headaches is a very difficult process. First of all, you should visit the family doctor. If the family doctor cannot help, then a neurologist or an algologist (a pain specialist) will need advice.
How to prepare for a visit to a headache specialist
Keep a calendar of headaches,which noted their intensity, frequency, the factors that caused them medicines that you take. Also indicate the circumstances that increase or alleviate headaches. The calendar will help the doctor establish a diagnosis and evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment.
Going to a headache treatment Miami algologist, take with you your medical documents (results of examinations, tests, consultations), even those issued a few years ago. They will help the doctor make a plan for further examinations and establish a diagnosis. Find out what kind of headaches your parents experienced, as this phenomenon is hereditary.
Make a list of any questions you want to ask your doctor. An algologist or neurologist will listen to your complaints, ask about the course of the headache, the accompanying events, provoking factors, your diseases, the medicines you are taking, as well as previous experience in the treatment of headaches. This is followed by a thorough neurological examination.