It was not enough that we fall ill at times and even carry sickness that the Covid-19 had to strike. We are never prepared enough for calamities or unforeseen dangers. It is rightly said that health is wealth. Changing lifestyle habits, increase in pollution levels, and many other factors have a severe impact on an individual’s health. This may cause various health conditions and medical diseases.
Medical costs associated with the treatment of such diseases are increasing rapidly. In order to safeguard your finances against high medical bills, it is necessary to invest in health insurance plans. Such plans cover all hospitalization expenses, as well as pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization charges.
Following are five benefits of purchasing a health insurance plan in India:
- Coverage against medical expenses
The main purpose of medical insurance is to receive the best medical care without any strain on your finances. Health insurance plans offer protection against high medical costs. It covers hospitalization expenses, day care procedures, domiciliary expenses, and ambulance charges, besides many others. You may, therefore, focus on your speedy recovery instead of worrying about such high costs.
- Coverage against critical illnesses
Insurance providers nowadays offer critical illness insurance, either as a standalone plan or as a rider. Such an insurance policy provides coverage against life-threatening diseases such as kidney failure, bone marrow transplant, stroke, and loss of limbs, among others. Upon diagnosis of any of the critical illness from the predetermined list of your policy, you are entitled to receive a lump sum amount. This amount may be used to meet your illness-related treatment costs, daily expenses, and any other financial obligations.
- Cashless claim benefit
Many insurance providers offer cashless health insurance. In such an arrangement, you do not have to make any out-of-pocket payments. The hospitalization expenses are settled between your insurer and the hospital. To avail of this benefit, it is imperative to get admitted at any of the insurer’s network hospitals. You may fill out a pre-authorization form and display your health insurance card to enjoy the cashless health insurance transactions.
- Additional protection over and above your employer cover
Many organizations cover their employees with a group insurance plan. However, such policies are not tailor-made according to the needs of every individual. Besides, you may be left uninsured in case of loss of job or change in employment. In order to protect yourself against such an event, purchase a health cover individually.
- Tax benefits
Health care plans provide tax benefits. Premiums paid towards your health care policy are eligible for tax deductions under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The quantum of deduction is as under:
- In case of the individual, Rs. 25,000 for himself and his family
- If individual or spouse is 60 years old or more the deduction available is Rs. 50,000
- An additional deduction for insurance of parents (father or mother or both, whether dependent or not) is available to the extent of Rs. 25,000 if less than 60 years old and Rs 50,000 if parents are 60 years old or more.
- For uninsured super senior citizens (80 years old or more) medical expenditure incurred up to Rs 50,000 shall be allowed
- A deduction of Rs. 5000 will be allowed under this section for payment of preventive health check-up of either the individual himself or his family members which includes spouse, parents and dependent children. This deduction is not in addition to the deduction of Rs.25000/50000 stated above, but is included in the above deduction.
Keep these advantages in mind and choose from numerous medical insurance plans available in the market. Based on your personal needs and requirements, select the best plan and do not miss out on the opportunity to enjoy all these benefits.